Local ‘Get Off the List’ organization is seeking living donors
By Chuck Gibson
LOVELAND, OH (March 31, 2022) – April is Donate Life Month and Darci Gibson’s “Off The List” (OTL) organization has several events planned to help raise awareness about living donors.
Donate Life Month is observed in April of every year to help raise awareness about donation of organ, eye and tissue donors. Donate Life America along with partnering organizations established National Donate Life Month (NDLM) in 2003 to encourage Americans to register as donors and to honor those who have saved lives with the gift of donation. The Off The List organization founded by Darci Gibson is focused on finding living kidney donors to help transplant patients get off the list. Just in time for the Donate Life events of April, the organization’s website – GetOffTheList.org – launched Friday, March 25.
“I’m excited to have the resources out there for those who are on the transplant list,” said Gibson. “They can go there and see what we offer; what the programs are.”
The site offers the opportunity for transplant patients to sign up for a phone call where they’ll be able to share their story and learn how the organization can partner with them. The site offers much more to help transplant patients navigate the path to finding a donor – specifically focused on finding a living donor. With the focus on finding living donors, the site offers information and a way for living donors to sign up to donate.
“There’s information on how to become a living kidney donor,” Gibson said. “There’s a whole section on that as well. It’s having everything in one place, easily accessible.”
Still to come on the website will be a step-by-step process to help transplant patients find their donor. Right now, the focus is on getting the word out. Gibson hopes to utilize events throughout the area during this Donate Life Month of April. There are a few key dates to remember nationwide. Donate Life Living Donor Day is April 6, 2022.
Here are some “Off The List” local area events in April for National Donate Life Month:
- Cocoa Bites-Loveland: Cupcake specially decorated and flavored. April 1-30. Open Thur. – Sat. Will take orders for special events, work gatherings, etc. Call: (513) 677-2525
- Fudge by Jenn: Two flavors of fudge sold. (Save-a-life swirl chocolate cake and Sharing is Car-amel-ing pecan) All proceeds go to OTL. Order at: www.fudgebyjenn.com
- Municipal Brewing Company-Hamilton: will have OTL flyers in their brewery and OTL cards on their tables to help patrons learn more and donate to OTL if they wish. There will also be flyers for Bryan Watkins (Buddy Needs a Kidney), a local Hamilton man in need of a kidney transplant.
- Paint for a Cause: Thursday, April 30th. Take a break from life’s busy schedule. Join in an evening of painting, food, and fun! No painting skills needed! Just in time for Mother’s Day…bring a friend for a chance to win a “Pamper Yourself” basket. Gift card for spa services, a bottle of wine, and other goodies included. This event will take place at a site in Montgomery, please visit www.getoffthelist.org for more details and to register for the event.
“April is Donate Life Month,” concluded Gibson. “It is a month dedicated, not only to organ donation, but tissue and eye donation too. Everybody will be embracing this Donate Life theme in April.”
Here are key dates for Donate Life in April from NDLM:
- Blue & Green Spirit Week starts April 16, 2022
- National Donate Life Month Blue & Green Day is Friday, April 22, 2022
- National Pediatric Transplant Week is April 24-30, 2022
Learn more about Off The List and how you can help at: www.GetOffTheList.org