FUN WITH MAPS ISSUE 2024-120

By Steve Kovacs (Introduction by Chuck Gibson)

LOVELAND, OH (June 27, 2024) – In this edition of Fun with Maps we recognize the first nuclear power energy source hook up for a major city in 1954.

A RADIOACTIVE RUCKUS

Seventy years ago, the first nuclear power station began to produce energy for electricity.  It was the first time that this energy source was used for the benefit of mankind and not as a military threat.

The power station in Obninsk, Russia, about 60 miles southwest from Red Square, was hooked up to the Moscow grid and provided electricity for the city.  The plant remained in operation as a power source for the city until 2002 and is used as a research lab today.

Obninsk is one of the centers of scientific research in Russia and earned the nickname of “Science City” because of its twelve research institutes.

The oldest currently operating nuclear plant is the Beznau Nuclear Power Plant in Switzerland.  It has been in use since 1969.

A map of the European portion of Russia is presented here, created by Gerritsz in 1614.

Russia w/Moscow inset – 1614 (Credit Steve Kovacs)

Steve Kovacs and his wife Theresa reside in Loveland, Ohio where they raised their two children. He is a passionate collector of antique maps.

Visit his antique map boutique world-on-paper online. Watch for his daily feature Steve Kovacs: Fun with Maps here on Loveland Beacon.