The two youth baseball teams run by the Reds and Cubs respectively will compete in the “A Dream Fulfilled” game on the iconic Movie Set Field in Dyersville, Iowa Wednesday, August 10th. The two teams from the Reviving Baseball in Inner Cities (RBI) program will have their dreams fulfilled playing this special youth baseball exhibition on the fan-favorite tourist destination cornstalk field. The Cincinnati Reds RBI and Chicago Cubs RBI programs will compete before a LIVE FS1 national television audience as part of the celebration of MLB at Field of Dreams presented by GEICO.
On the following day, Thursday, August 11, the youth players and their coaches will attend the MLB at Field of Dreams game featuring the Cincinnati Reds and Chicago Cubs.
MLB at Field of Dreams returns on Thursday, August 11 when these two historic Baseball Clubs from Cincinnati and Chicago play a regular season game on a baseball field built in a cornfield next to the iconic movie location in Dyersville, Iowa. The 2022 game will include new ceremonies and features designed to capture the magic of the setting for fans of all ages and celebrate baseball’s ability to link generations – a central theme of the movie.
The game will air nationally on FOX, FOX Deportes, and the FOX Sports app at 7 p.m.
Cincinnati Reds RBI is a year-round baseball and softball development program that also provides educational and community service opportunities. Operated by the Reds Community Fund dating back to 2008, the program has reached new heights since the opening of the P&G MLB Cincinnati Reds Youth Academy in 2014, which hosted the RBI World Series in 2016 and 2017. The program’s senior boys team won the RBI World Series in 2021 and the RBI softball team is currently participating in its fourth consecutive RBI World Series.
Chicago Cubs RBI baseball launched in 2001 with support from Cubs Charities and in partnership with a Chicago nonprofit. The program has been operated by Cubs Charities since 2018 with the goal of establishing a best-in-class program for baseball and softball players. Today, Cubs RBI consists of summer and fall baseball and softball leagues, skills clinics, and RBI All-Stars, a nine-month player development program supporting athletes on and off the field with performance training, academic coaching, civic engagement opportunities and team-building experiences. In 2022, the 15U Cubs RBI All-Star team competed in the RBI World Series advancing to the semifinals. Since 2001, more than 7,000 players have participated in Cubs RBI, free of charge
The 2022 MLB at Field of Dreams will be a national FOX Sports broadcast just as it was for the inaugural event one year ago. MLB built a ballpark with an approximate capacity of 8,000 fans adjacent to the movie site to host the first Major League game ever played in the State of Iowa. Last summer’s thrilling walk-off win for the Chicago White Sox over the New York Yankees delivered nearly six million viewers and marked the most-watched single regular season baseball game on any network since 1998. With kids ages 12-17, it was the most-watched game in 10 years.
Kevin Costner was an active participant in the night’s festivities. In May, MLB at Field of Dreams was named the 2021 “Sports Event of the Year” by the SportsBusiness Journal.
About the film:
Field of Dreams stars Costner, Ray Liotta, James Earl Jones and Amy Madigan. It was nominated for the Academy Award® for Best Picture in 1990 and was selected to the National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 2017. The 1989 film tells the story of Iowa farmer Ray Kinsella, a husband and father who is tending to his cornfield when he hears a mysterious voice intone, “If you build it, he will come.” According to the American Film Institute (AFI), those words are the 39th top film quote of all-time.
2022 Cincinnati Reds RBI Roster – A Dream Fulfilled:
Name – Age – Position – Hometown – School
- William Brenzel: 13 – 1B, P, RF, Cincinnati, OH – Nativity School
- Blake Dayton: 14 – C – Cincinnati, OH, – Princeton High School
- Garvin Dixon: 15 – 1B, 3B – Cincinnati, OH – Clark Montessori High School
- Steve Easley III: 13 – 3B, P – Cincinnati, OH – Bridgetown Middle School
- John Farris: 13 – UT – Cincinnati, OH – White Oak Middle School
- Elijah Jones : 13 – CF, SS, P – Hamilton, OH – Wilson Middle School
- Brayden Lipps: 15 – 1B, 3B, P – Cincinnati, OH – Oak Hills High School
- Declan McGrath: 15 – P, 1B – Cincinnati, OH – Princeton High School
- Perry Miller: 15 – UT – Cincinnati, OH – Purcell Marian High School
- Moriah Miller: 13 – OF – Cincinnati, OH – Gamble Montessori Middle School
- Sebastian Negron: 14 – 3B – Fairfield, OH (Birth: Puerto Rico) – Fairfield Senior High School
- Deion Oatis: 13 – SS, 3B, P – Hamilton, OH – Hamilton High School/Freshman Building
- Kendall Richard Jr.: 13 – C, P – Cincinnati, OH – Finneytown Secondary School
- Chrystian Robb: 13 – 3B – Cincinnati, OH – Gamble Montessori Middle School
- Jayonn Saunders: 15 – SS, CF – Cincinnati, OH – Purcell Marian High School
- Peter Sunderhaus: 14 – UT – Cincinnati, OH – Nativity School
- Junior Vasquez Veras: 15 – 3B – Cincinnati, OH – Princeton High School
Coaches: Roosevelt Barnes – Harry Barnes – Daniel Williams