The Frontier Days parade and festival in Milford is back
By Chuck Gibson
MILFORD, OH (May 29, 2023) – The city of Milford invites you to “Splash into Summer with Local Extraordinaries:” with the 61st celebration of Frontier Days including the opening night parade and continuing through three days of festival fun.
Here is the text of the press release issued by Milford/Miami Township Chamber of Commere:
The beloved Frontier Days parade and festival in Milford is back for another extraordinary year to mark the 61st anniversary of this fun start to summer! You will see countless businesses and organizations ride through the parade, listen to amazing local bands, all while eating some of your favorite festival treats. And new additions this year make this a festival you won’t want to miss!
The theme of this year’s festival is “Splash Into Summer,” and it will start out with a SPLASH as parade-goers are encouraged to bring water-squirters, find a Splash Zone, and get wet! The three Splash Zones will be marked with blue paint earlier in the week so those who want to participate can scope out their spot.
Here are some highlights of the festival and parade:
- Fair food at the Parade: New this year, starting at lunchtime, come down to the Kroger parking lot on Lila Ave. and begin your fair food-fest at Funnel of Luv! They will be selling funnel cakes & other sweet delights for your snacking pleasure.
- Car Show: The Classic Car Show will also be in the Kroger parking lot from 4:30-6:25 pm. Browse among the cars while enjoying your snacks, then watch these beauties as they leave in a pre-parade at 6:25 pm.
- Magic Tom: Our favorite magician, Tom, will perform along the parade route to entertain those young & old.
- Food & Beverage: What’s a festival without lots of fair food options & great beverages? No worries, Frontier Days has you covered with a variety of meal, side, and dessert options, plus alcoholic & non-alcoholic drinks. Cincinnati Distilling is sponsoring the Bourbon + Beer Garden when you can score a 3-sample tasting of their most popular bourbons – or go for a full pour of your favorite!
- Rides: A variety of rides and carnival games will make this a great kick-off to summer for our younger visitors!
- Entertainment: Bands will play at 8 pm each night. Counting Skeletons, The Everyday People Band, and LunchBox will perform on the main stage. Magic Tom performs once Friday evening and three times on Saturday. Also on Saturday, School of Rock performs on the main stage from 3-4 pm. Characters will be roaming the grounds at various times.
- Makers Market: A newly-curated Makers Market will be presented on Saturday from noon-7 pm. All items are hand-made, with a variety of categories ensuring there is something for everyone!
- Youth Makers Market: Brand-new this year is the Youth Makers Market, featuring 10 young entrepreneurs sharing their wares.
- Children’s Area: Last year was the first for this immersive children’s area, which is back and better than before. Enjoy crafts and a mobile Paint Playground where you can explore art in a safe, fun way.
- Balloon Artist: We’re thrilled to welcome The Twisting Sister to Milford Frontier Days! She will be providing a variety of fun shapes for the enjoyment of those young & old – and these balloon creations will be given away for free, thanks to Sharkey’s Cuts for Kids!
- Face Painting: Get your face painted with your fave animal, symbol, or character by Little Fox Faces.
- Shuttle: On Friday and Saturday between 6-8 pm and 10-11:30 pm, the Bluebird Bus of Hope will shuttle visitors from the Milford Shopping Center area down to the festival grounds and back.
Because of the amazing support from the community, Frontier Days won the 2022 BAM! Community Award for Best Milford Staple & 2023 Best Seasonal Experience.
- Festival hours are Thursday, June 1, 5-10 pm, parade 6:30-7:45ish;
- Friday, June 2, 5-11 pm; and
- Saturday, June 3, noon-11 pm.
The parade starts on Lila Ave in Milford at the Kroger Shopping Center, ending at Sycamore in Old Milford. All other festivities will be held at Riverside Park, 425 Victor Stier Drive, Milford, OH 45150. More information is available at frontierdaysmilford.com.
Details about the Bands:
- Counting Skeletons, Thursday June 1, 8-10 PM: Frontier Days kicks off with a band that will truly rattle your bones. Vocalist & Milford resident Nicholas Strike loves to get families involved by having them sing and dance along!
- The Everyday People Band, Friday June 2, 8-11 PM: The Everyday People Band brings their family-friendly funky dance party to Milford for this year’s Frontier Days Festival. Their original and groove-based music – from Motown to R&B, from disco and funk to rock, will have you dancing & swinging all night!
- LunchBox Band, Saturday June 3, 8-11 PM: Party band LunchBox is known all over Cincinnati for their high energy, wide range of covers, and keeping the party going. They cover genres range from classic rock to modern pop and rap, keeping any audience entertained and on their feet.