The Indian Hill High School Science Olympiad Team placed fourth in the Southwest Science Olympiad Regional Competition, earning a spot to compete at state! (Provided)
The Indian Hill High School Science Olympiad Team placed fourth in the Southwest Science Olympiad Regional Competition, earning a spot to compete at state!
“In our time at Indian Hill, this is a first!” said Indian Hill High School teacher Dave Broxterman, who with teacher Kaitlin Shurts mentors for Science Olympiad students.
Founded in 1984, Science Olympiad provides rigorous, standards-based challenges to nearly 8,000 teams in all 50 states. The innovative challenges are based on learning in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). For the regional competition, students competed in 23 events at Xavier University in early March.
Indian Hill High School has two teams; Indian Hill Middle School has one team.The Indian Hill Middle School Science Olympiad Team placed sixth in the Southwest Science Olympiad Regional Competition, only two spots shy of going to state!
Individual Indian Hill School District students earned the following recognition during the regional competition:
- First Place in Anatomy and Physiology: Amitesh Verma and Kathy Ning
- Fifth Place in Boomilever: Peter Zhang and Vivek Alamuri
- Third Place in Codebusters: Maya Anderson, Vivek Alamuri, and Charlie Savill
- First Place in Designer Genes: Faye Harde and Will Ford
- Fifth Place in Detector Building: Charlie Savill and Marjona Ashurova
- Fourth Place in Fossils: Marjona Ashurova and Sumaiya Hossain
- Third Place in Protein Modeling: Faye Hardek, Will Ford, and Kathy Ning
- Sixth Place in Sounds of Music: Jenny Zhang and Olivia Wang
- Sixth Place in Dynamic Planet: Sarahgrace Brown and Sophia Liu
- Fifth Place in Geologic Mapping: Sophia Zou and Sophia Renton
- Fifth Place in Ornithology: Joy On and Vivian Xu
- Third Place in Water Quality: Joy On and Anhad Gill
- Fifth Place in Anatomy and Physiology: Daniel Choi and Hollis Chan
- Fifth Place in Boomilever: Caroline Brown and Lily Lui (Bradan Kramer stepped in to run the event last minute)
- Fifth Place in Crime Busters: Caroline Brown and Hollis Chan
- First Place in Disease Detectives: Elsa Zhou and Caroline Brown
- Third Place in Experimental Design: Elsa Zhou, Caroline Brown, and Bradan Kramer
- First Place in Food Science: Elsa Zhou and Caroline Brown
- Second Place in Fossils: Caroline Brown and Bradan Kramer
- First Place in Heredity: Elsa Zhou
- Sixth Place in Ornithology: Bradan Kramer
- Fourth Place in Road Scholar: Caroline Brown and Bradan Kramer
- Fourth Place in Water Quality: Elsa Zhou
“We are very proud of how all of our students worked so hard all year and were driven to achieve their team and individual goals,” said Shurts.
Click here for more about Indian Hill Schools