An important message on COVID-19 safety procedures for Indian Hill Schools
GUEST COLUMN: By: Kirk Koennecke, Superintendent, Indian Hill Schools
INDIAN HILL, OH (August 22, 2020) – As we prepare to open our doors to officially begin to welcome our Braves back on August 27, we understand school will look like never before
From the development of multiple learning models to serve our students, to policy creation specific to safety during COVID-19, we are making history in K-12 education this school year.
From our Board of Education to our teachers to our students to our parents – at the Indian Hill School District – we understand that we are all in this together. Collectively, we have a singular primary focus as we prepare for our 2020-2021 Brave Return to School: safety. During the summer, our Brave team worked with several safety consultants and county health officials to learn best practices in planning for safety during COVID-19. We want to share with you these plans in detail.
Indian Hill School District Brave Return to School 2020-2021 Safety Protocols
Board Approved Face Covering Policy
- Face coverings are required for all K-12 students, staff, and visitors.
- Face shields cannot be a daily substitute for a face mask; they can be used as an additional layer of protection and for approved learning environments requiring the use of a shield for staff and/or students.
- See-through face masks have been purchased for staff.
- Pediatric and adult size face masks have been purchased for supplies.
- Face shields have been purchased for staff.
- Face shields have been purchased for students in grades K-3.
Daily Health Check Equipment
- Mobile thermometers have been provided for all nurse stations; at all entry points; to coaches and supervisors.
- Sign-in logs are stationed at all entry points.
- The District will use Pickup Patrol to log the health of staff and students daily; we will have additional communication on the details of this plan coming soon.
- COVID-19 Symptom and Screening Flow Charts will be provided for every classroom.
- We have installed plexiglass barriers on all tables in classrooms at Indian Hill Primary School.
- Divider screens will be installed on cafeteria tables in all schools prior to school starting.
- Additional divider screens will be installed in classrooms at Indian Hill Middle School and Indian Hill High School (primarily for Plan A).
- We have installed barrier screens at all entry administrative assistant stations, guidance counselor offices, and nurses’ stations.
Hand Sanitizer/Hand Washing
- We have installed stationary dispensers across the District.
- We have installed stationary dispensers in classrooms.
- Mobile hand sanitizing stations have been placed at all entrances.
- Cleansing wipes will be used in areas where multiple students need to occupy a seat.
- New ventilation filters have been installed in the ductwork.
- Air filtration systems are to be utilized in classrooms.
- Cues for foot traffic and movement through buildings are being installed.
- Directional stickers are being placed on floors in all buildings.
- Outdoor/indoor venue signs are being installed for public notice, COVID-19 protocols.
- COVID-19 symptom and screening flow charts will be provided for every classroom.
- Website resource documents were added under the Brave Return to School page.
Enhanced Outdoor Usage
- Multiple outdoor classrooms are being created at each school.
- Additional cleaning will be provided for current outdoor spaces.
- Vital Oxide will be used during the day in cafeteria, bus, and in classrooms; it has a “0” rating (no health, respiratory, or fire risk; even when the surface is wet).
- Each school and bus will be equipped with a handheld sprayer that provides a fine mist that quickly disinfects surfaces in spaces like the bus and cafeteria.
- Each bus that is used to transport students will be cleaned after every run on a daily basis.
- A Safe Trip School Travel Checklist was developed for all staff and students.
- An Activities Guidebook was developed for Brave Return to School activities.
- We will maintain a weekly Athletic Log of suspected COVID-19 cases.
- We will maintain a weekly after-school, non-athletic activity log of suspected COVID-19 cases.
- In addition to cafeteria space, additional spaces are being used to provide distancing while eating lunch.
Safety must be a part of our DNA going into the 2020-2021 school year; this is supported by our Board of Education, and it will be put into practice as we embark on this historic school year. We look forward to welcoming all of our Braves back, safely.
In service to our children,
Indian Hill School District