The Dragonfly Foundation Begins Holiday Season with Giving Tuesday To Help
Local Pediatric Cancer Patients & Their Families
By Chuck Gibson (Information provided by Mary Tignor, Community Relations Manager, Dragonfly Foundation)
CINCINNATI, OH (November 30, 2020) – The Dragonfly Foundation is asking for your support on #GivingTuesday, a global day of giving and unity aimed at inspiring people to give back on December 1, 2020, and throughout the year.
The Dragonfly Foundation helps pediatric cancer patients and their families find strength, courage and joy by providing support services and programs that enhance their quality of life. The Dragonfly Foundation also provides help with urgent needs and life logistics, emotional, relational and practical support, and transformative experiences.
COVID-19 has impacted both the community and The Dragonfly Foundation in profound ways. Dragonfly understands first-hand the impact COVID has had over the last year. Requests for their services have tripled during 2020!
The demand for items to protect Dragonfly families and their immune-compromised loved ones has grown, alongside increased requests for regular assistance programs. This year they’ve increased distribution of gift cards allowing patients and families to order food, groceries, cleaning supplies, and household necessities online to ensure families don’t have to leave their homes and risk exposure to COVID-19. The foundation has also distributed items such as hand sanitizer, gloves and masks to protect pediatric cancer patients and their families.
The Dragonfly Foundation also continues to provide Care Bags to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center filled with essentials for new patients being admitted to the hospital. Dragonfly is also providing virtual experiences and outdoor venues to safely allow patients to connect with their families in a unique way during this challenging time.
You can make an immediate impact on the lives of pediatric cancer patients and families served by Dragonfly by making a one-time donation or a recurring gift at https://dragonfly.org/givingtuesday.
What’s the impact of your donation to a Dragonfly Family?
- $25 will provide meals for a family at the hospital for a day
- $50 would assist with urgent needs for winter clothes & diapers
- $100 helps transport families to and from medical appointments for a week
- A donation of $150 can supply a Care Bag to a pediatric cancer patient and their family at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
- $250 sponsor a family experience outside the hospital
- A donation of any amount will support Dragonfly’s programs which address urgent needs, life logistics and programs that enhance quality of life for pediatric cancer patients and their families. For more on Dragonfly’s Programs: https://dragonfly.org/what-we-do-2/
Dragonfly held a ‘drive-thru’ event in June in partnership with the Joe Nuxhall Miracle League for Dragonfly famiilies. Randi Rico came out to the Joe Nuxhall Miracle League Field on June 26th and was a part of our drive-thru event with nearly 200 children and their families attending the event. It was one of the ways this summer Dragonfly was able to bring joy to the families during COVID in a safe way. Fun items for the kids; food from Glier’s, player cards and miniature soccer balls from FC Cincinnati were among other fun items and essentials provided for the families by Dragonfly Foundation and The Miracle League.
Here are some of the highlights of different ways Dragonfly helped families during COVID this year:
- Provided hand sanitizer, masks & cleaning supplies for patients & families
- Purchase gift cards for groceries and meals for families so they can stay at home and not expose their immune-compromised patient to COVID-19 (providing gift cards is always a part of our programs but it took on a greater importance this year.)
- Address urgent needs for families
- Help families get through difficult times as many have lost jobs.
- Since Dragonfly couldn’t take families to indoor events or large group events as they normally do, they held more virtual events for patients to connect with one another. They’ve also helped families create memories by taking them to smaller outdoor events.
HELP OUT THIS GIVING TUESDAY, DECEMBER 1:
YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE
A donation of any amount will support Dragonfly’s programs which address urgent needs, life logistics and programs that enhance quality of life for pediatric cancer patients and their families. For more on Dragonfly’s Programs: https://dragonfly.org/what-we-do-2/