The White House construction begun with the laying of the cornerstone in 1792 on this day.
The building was designed by Irish immigrant James Hoban, who won a design contest suggested by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Ultimately President Washington selected the winning design. John Adams was the first presidential resident in 1800.
Indirectly the British are responsible for the name according to a popular myth, since it was painted white after British soldiers burned it in 1814. However, the building was white when it was completed. President Teddy Roosevelt gave the building its current name in 1901. Previously it was mostly called the President’s House as in the map shown.
Here is Joseph Colton’s map of Washington D. C. from 1855.
Steve Kovacs and his wife Theresa reside in Loveland, Ohio where they raised their two children. He is a passionate collector of antique maps.
Click here to visit his antique map boutique world-on-paper online. Watch for his daily feature Steve Kovacs: Antique Maps & Fun Facts here on Loveland Beacon.